Medical Fitness Specialist Online Course
This 20-hr online course is for fitness and health professionals who want to learn more about using exercise as medicine with patients who suffer from one or more chronic diseases including cardiovascular, pulmonary, metabolic, or orthopedic dysfunction. As a Medical Fitness Specialist, you will be able to prevent and/or manage numerous chronic diseases, and collaborate with clinicians.
Course Author: J. Daniel Mikeska, DHSc.
Course Prerequisite: All of the online courses here on MedFit Classroom which lead to a Certificate of Specialization are considered advanced level education, and are meant to be taken by fitness professionals who have previously acquired education and experience as a professional within the health and fitness industry. In order for one to receive the Certificate of Specialization that is conferred upon those who purchase this Medical Fitness Specialist course, review all the content, and successfully pass the competency assessment, one must be able to show proof that he or she has the following:
- Evidence of a current certification, or vocational credential, from a reputable certifying or credentialing organization, and within the health and fitness industry; OR
- Evidence of an associate’s degree, or higher, from an accredited college or university in the field of exercise science, kinesiology, physical education, fitness, or a related field; AND
- Evidence of professional liability insurance; AND
- Evidence of 5 years of relevant work experience.
Course includes a complimentary, FREE, 90-day trial professional membership on the MedFit Network (MFN) (annual membership = $169; offer valid for new members only). Instructions for creating your new MFN account will be sent after course purchase [Note: Current MFN Members receive a discount on this course. Please check your MFN account for details.
The completion of this 20-hr online Medical Fitness Specialist course, and the passing of its corresponding competency assessment with a minimum score of 80%, leads to a Certificate of Specialization to work with clients who certain chronic diseases and medical conditions.
This Certificate of Specialization will be considered valid for a period of two years, and to keep it current, you must complete fifteen (15) topically relevant, continuing education hours, prior to the date of its expiration, and you must formally renew the certificate. Professionals should anticipate and consider the cost of the required continuing education, as well a nominal renewal fee.
Examples of the types of continuing education hours that are applicable can include webinars, MedFit Conference presentations (live or video), short-format online education courses, selected articles from credible publications, etc. These formats must include medical fitness topics as part of the primary subject matter.
A fitness professional holding current this Certificate of Specialization is able to list himself or herself as a Medical Fitness Specialist on the MedFit Network (MFN), within an active MFN account profile. Being listed on the MFN, and having this additional qualification is a true differentiator, and one that greatly improves the chance of receiving a referral from the MFN when consumers visit the MFN web site, and are seeking a fitness professional with this specific educational background, and in their geographical region.
- Prologue: Welcome to the Medical Fitness Practitioner specialization
- Lesson 1 – Chronic Disease and the Benefits of Exercise
- Lesson 2 – Scope of Practice and Health Risk
- Lesson 3 – Rapport and Psychology
- Lesson 4 – Postural and Movement Assessments, & Corrective Strategies
- Lesson 5 – Cardiorespiratory Assessment
- Lesson 6 – FITT
- Lesson 7 – Coronary Heart Disease
- Lesson 8 – Hypertension
- Lesson 9 – COPD and Asthma
- Lesson 10 – Diabetes
- Lesson 11 – Hyperlipidemia
- Lesson 12 – Body Composition, Overweight and Obesity
- Lesson 13 – Metabolic Syndrome
- Lesson 14 – Cancer
- Lesson 15 – Pregnancy
- Lesson 16 – Core, Balance, and Gait
- Lesson 17 – Common Shoulder Dysfunctions
- Lesson 18 – Common Dysfunctions of the Distal Arm
- Lesson 19 – Common Hip Dysfunctions
- Lesson 20 – Common Knee Dysfunctions
- Lesson 21 – Common Dysfunctions of the Lower Extremity
- Lesson 22 – Low Back Pain
- Lesson 23 – Arthritis
- Lesson 24 – Osteoporosis
- Lesson 25 – Business Application
- Competency Assessment
- Epilogue: What To Do Next
Continuing Education: TBD