Arthritis Fitness Specialist Online Course
Your arthritis course was one of the best I have ever taken. It was nice to take a course where no stone was left unturned. –Student of MedFit’s Arthritis Fitness Specialist Course
This online course is designed to provide fitness and medical professionals the knowledge needed to safely and effectively design and implement exercise programs for arthritic populations. Gain an in-depth understanding of various types, symptoms, and causes of arthritis, as well as how it affects joints and organs in the body. Examine exercises to create safe and effective fitness programs that will improve range of motion, flexibility and strength, to expand the overall health and wellness for your clients. This course also includes a module on marketing your services as an Arthritis Fitness Specialist.
You will improve the overall health and wellness of the arthritis community by becoming an Arthritis Fitness Specialist.
Course Author: Christine Conti, M.Ed.
MedFit Network (MFN) Membership
This course includes 90-day free trial of professional MFN membership. This offer is valid for new members only, and instructions for creating your MFN account will be sent after course purchase. Already a member? Existing MFN members are not eligible to receive a free trial, but do receive a discounted price on MedFit Classroom courses. Check your MFN account for details or contact email@example.com.
Many fitness professionals lack the knowledge to safely and effectively design fitness programs that specifically meet the needs of the arthritic population. Understanding the types of arthritis, symptoms that stem from the disease process, and mastering methods to improve muscle strength, range of motion, and flexibility, is paramount when working with this population. As the yearly number of people diagnosed with one or more types of arthritis increases, so does the demand for fitness professionals who have the skills and education to deliver quality and individualized fitness programming.
- Learn the various types of arthritis and their causes
- Understand the symptoms of arthritis
- Analyze epidemiology of arthritis (US vs World)
- Describe the anatomy, biomechanics and function of common joints affected by arthritis.
- Understand treatment strategies in the management of arthritis: Mental vs. Physical
- Examine the healing process when treating dysfunction and pain
- Recognize the role of nutrition in as it relates to arthritis
- Demonstrate exercise progression in the treatment of arthritis
- Module 1: Types of Arthritis – Causes, Signs, and Symptoms
- Module 2: The Six Main Causes of Arthritis
- Module 3: Psychological Symptoms
- Module 4: The Diagnosis
- Module 5: Epidemiology
- Module 6: Anatomy, Biomechanics, and Function of Common Joints Affected by Arthritis
- Module 7: Understanding Treatment Strategies to Manage Arthritis Symptoms
- Module 8: Overview of the Healing Process of Dysfunction and Pain
- Module 9: Anti-Inflammatory Nutritional Recommendations
- Module 10: Exercise Progression in the Treatment of Arthritis
- Module 11: Exercise Resource Terminology Library
- Module 12: Marketing for the Arthritis Fitness Specialist
- Competency Assessment: Arthritis Fitness Specialist
- Bonus Module! Module 13: Practical Applications and Turnkey Adaptations
Course Delivery and Assessment
This course is delivered through a written course manual, video narrated slide presentations, videos of sample exercises, and sample forms. Comprehension of the material will be measured via a mandatory, multiple-choice item, competency assessment requiring a minimum of 80% correct responses in order to pass.
System Note: We recommend students access courses using Firefox as their browser. The Google Chrome browser can automatically play all videos in a lesson at the same time, which may be an extremely annoying feature for some, and for which, at the present, there is no easy fix in the Google Chrome settings.
Prerequisites and Certificate Information
All of the online courses here on MedFit Classroom which lead to a Certificate of Specialization are considered advanced level education, and are meant to be taken by fitness professionals who have previously acquired education and experience as a professional within the health and fitness industry. In order for one to receive the Certificate of Specialization that is conferred upon those who purchase this Fitness Specialist Course, review all the content, and successfully pass the comprehensive assessment, one must be able to show proof that he or she has the following:
- Evidence of a current certification, or vocational credential, from a reputable certifying or credentialing organization, and within the health and fitness industry; OR
- Evidence of an associate’s degree, or higher, from an accredited college or university in the field of exercise science, kinesiology, physical education, fitness, or a related field; AND
- Evidence of professional liability insurance
Maintaining this Specialization and Continuing Education Credits
The completion of this specialization course, and the passing of its corresponding competency assessment, leads to a Certificate of Specialization. This Certificate of Specialization will be considered valid for a period of two years. To keep the certificate current, you must complete 10 hours of continuing education, on relevant subject matter, and formally renew the certificate prior to the date of its expiration. As with many certifications and specializations in our field, professionals should anticipate some costs to continuing education and renewal of the certificate.
Continuing Education Credits
This course is approved for credit by:
- Athletics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) to provide 15 CEUs.
- Canfitpro to provide 4 CECs.
- International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA) to provide 15 CEUs.
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) to provide 1.5 CEUs.
This course is pending application and approval to provide continuing education from ACE. If your certifying body is not listed, you will be provided with a Certificate of Specialization at the end of the course that can be used to petition your certifying body for credit.
About the Course Author
Christine Conti is a mother of two who understands the importance of movement as medicine at the physical and cognitive levels. As a 20-year veteran in the fitness industry, Christine has created fitness programs and educated fitness and medical professionals to implement safe and effective exercise programs for all fitness levels. This former investment banker, secondary teacher, and all-American collegiate athlete has also been battling a severe autoimmune disease for the past decade. Through proper exercise, nutrition, and mindset practices she has been able to reduce symptoms and decrease dependency on medications. Her quest for knowledge and passion to help others live more quality lives has led to her vast knowledge base for working with arthritic populations and beyond.
Christine has a B.A. in English Language, Rhetoric, and Composition and a minor in Business and Psychology from Binghamton University, cum laude. Christine received her M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction and Secondary English Education from the University of Maryland, summa cum laude. She has been nationally certified varsity coach and group fitness and personal trainer through AFAA/NASM since 2001. Christine has since completed over 30 group and personal training certifications such as: LesMills, Piloxing, Spinning, Yoga, PLYOGA, ZUMBA, Kickboxing, Rev02lution Running, Orange Theory Fitness, and more. She currently serves as an international fitness presenter and educator for fitness and medical fitness conferences around-the-world.
Christine is the CEO of Conti Fitness & Wellness, an online resource for education and counselling to create positive changes through physical and emotional practices. She is the creator of Let’s FACE It Together™ Facial Fitness and Rehabilitation, an exercise program and certification to help reduce signs of aging, prolong onset of disease, and rehabilitate injuries. Christine believes that knowledge is power, so she created a podcast called, Two Fit Crazies and a Microphone. This platform provides free and unbiased information from top experts about fitness, nutrition, and more! This 2x Ironman with 30+ marathons under her belt, has no plans of slowing down! Yes You Can!