Longevity Lifestyle and Fitness Specialist Online Course
This product is an online, self-study course.
By 2030 there will be more people over the age of 65 than those under 18. Our population is changing and while we are living longer lives, with 6 out of every 10 people having a chronic disease, it would seem we are still not living better. For some, this poses concern, a possible health crisis, yet the longevity industry understands that aging is the #1 finding present in all chronic health conditions. By extending lifespan by just one year, research has shown we will improve how well we live, we will save $38 Trillion dollars in healthcare costs in the US alone and we will boost the economy from money spent on leisure and life-giving activities.
This presents a unique opportunity for health, fitness and wellness professionals to gain specialized knowledge and expertise in the field of longevity. People, regardless of how long they live, want to live well and now more than ever, we know how.
This course will cover the hallmarks of aging and the varied treatments, solutions and strategies available to live longer and healthier lives. With a focus on epigenetics and complex systems biology, you will gain a comprehensive understanding of why we age and why we don’t have to be paired with key findings at each stage of life. You will understand how to assess, recommend and support longevity lifestyle solutions including fitness, nutrition, sleep, mindset, stress optimization and wearable technology solutions in clinical, coaching and community-based settings
Course Length: 20 hours
Course Author: Dr. Melissa Petersen
MedFit Network (MFN) Membership
This course includes a free trial of a professional MFN membership. This offer is valid for new members only, and instructions for creating your MFN account will be sent after course purchase. Already a member? Existing MFN members are not eligible to receive a free trial, but do receive a discounted price on MedFit Classroom courses. Check your MFN account for details or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment plan available for purchases of $399 or more. (3-payment plan. Start for only 1/3 down at time of purchase.)
Module 1: The Future of Longevity
At the completion of Module 1, you will gain an understanding of the longevity industry, the now, near and far future, how to position yourself as a longevity leader and the foundational 4 lifestyle metrics that can add an extra 20 years of life to a client’s years and years to their lives.
- Lesson 1: Growing healthier and younger
- Lesson 2: Lifespan vs Healthspan vs Life expectancy
- Lesson 3: The aging vs longevity economy
- Lesson 4: Bridging the gap and creating opportunities
- Lesson 5: Living 150- The Now, Near and Far future of longevity
- Lesson 6: Extending Lifespan with Lifestyle, a review of the research
Module 2: The Mechanisms of Aging
At the completion of Module 2, the student will have an understanding of the evidence-based markers through which the rate of biological aging is studied and identified for successful interventions for enhancing health.
- Lesson 1: Why we age and why we don’t have to
- Lesson 2: The Hallmarks of Aging
- Lesson 3: The Hallmarks of Aging Continued
- Lesson 4: The Hallmarks of Aging Continued
Module 3: Epigenetics of Longevity
At the completion of Module 3, the student will have an understanding of the science of epigenetics and the role it plays in the unified information theory of aging. This will lay the foundation for a top-down evidence-based approach to assessing and recommending longevity living solutions for clients.
- Lesson 1: Why your genes aren’t your destiny
- Lesson 2: The Exposome
- Lesson 3: Understanding genetic expression
- Lesson 4: The DNA blueprint
- Lesson 5: The Unifying Theory of Aging
- Lesson 6: The Genes of Longevity
- Lesson 7: Epigenetic clocks and how to measure biological age. PLUS A BONUS interview with Siim Land: Understanding the mTOR/AMPK pathways of longevity.
Module 4: Stress Effect
At the completion of Module 4, the student will have an understanding of the types of stress and how they either speed up or slow down the rate of aging in the body. The student will also gain practical knowledge and specific stress optimization techniques that they will be able to demonstrate and implement in their client care programs.
- Lesson 1: How to live longer and grow stronger with stress
- Lesson 2: The Epigenetics of Stress
- Lesson 3: Distress, Dysfunction due to Allostatic Overload
- Lesson 4: The Biomarkers of Stress
- Lesson 5: The Longevity living health continuum
- Lesson 6: Building Resilience, Restoring Allostasis
- Lesson 7: Using stress to optimize longevity
- Lesson 8: A Clinical Framework to Evaluate and Recommend Key Stress Optimization Solutions
Module 5: The Biomarkers of Longevity
At the completion of Module 5, the student will understand the foundational biomarkers of longevity and when to use them to assess a client’s expression of health and longevity potential. They will be able to demonstrate and utilize the foundational assessments, and physical and digital biomarkers of aging. License-dependent, they will understand what advanced clinical and diagnostic biomarkers can be ordered and utilized in building precision longevity interventions and programs.
- Lesson 1: How to assess, interrupt and support data-driven longevity solutions
- Lesson 2: Intake assessments and questionnaires
- Lesson 3: Physical biomarkers of longevity
- Lesson 4: Digital biomarkers of longevity
- Lesson 5: Clinical biomarkers of longevity
- Lesson 6: BONUS: An interview with Dr. Jim LaValle: The Clinical Pathways and Biomarkers of Metaflammation
Module 6: The Lifestyle Pillars of Longevity
At the end of Module 6, the student will have an understanding and lifestyle framework for assessing and recommending key longevity lifestyle solutions that can optimize the expression of thriving.
- Lesson 1: Longevity Living Strategies
- Lesson 2: The Optimization Equation
- Lesson 3: The Vectors of Longevity
- Lesson 4: Vitality – The Role of Mindset on Function
- Lesson 5: Capacity for Longevity
- Lesson 5.1: Lifestyle Pillars of Longevity: Movement
- Lesson 5.2: Lifestyle Pillars of Longevity: Nourishment
- Lesson 5.3: Assess and Optimize Nutrition for Longevity
- Lesson 5.4: What to Eat for Longevity
- Lesson 6.1: The Lifestyle Pillars of Longevity- Resilience through Rest
- Lesson 6.2: Resilience through Environmental Design
- Lesson 7: The Lifestyle Pillars of Longevity-Flourish through Wellbeing
Module 7: Designing Progressive Functional Fitness Solutions for Longevity Living
At the end of Module 7, the student will be able to demonstrate the 6 functional longevity assessments and understand how to recommend progressive fitness programs and the best forms of exercise for longevity living.
- Lesson 1: How to assess and apply longevity fitness interventions to increase lifespan and healthspan
- Lesson 2: Functional Movements Reviewed
- Lesson 3: Set a Longevity Fitness Vision
- Lesson 4: Heart Rate and How to Measure Resilience with the 3 Minute Step Test
- Lesson 5: Grip Strength, Measure and Improve
- Lesson 6; The Lower Body Strength Assessments and Interventions for Improvement
- Lesson 7: Balance and Stability Assessments and Interventions for Improvement
- Lesson 8: Speed and Agility Assessments and Interventions for Improvement
Module 8: Lifestyle Coaching for a lifetime of longevity optimized living
At the end of Module 8, the student will understand and be able to implement with clients the science and art of connection, engagement, and support that facilitates lifestyle change through coaching language and communication strategies.
- Lesson 1: Understanding your role as a longevity fitness and lifestyle specialist
- Lesson 2: Communication for Change
- Lesson 3: A.C.T Longevity Coaching Framework
- Lesson 4: Program Framework
- Lesson 5: Client Session SOAP Form
- Lesson 6: Putting It All Together
Module 9: Business, Marketing and Program Design
At the end of Module 9, the student will have an understanding of how to choose, design and implement the scalable longevity business model that will best support their business goals and vision along with the clients they serve.
- Lesson 1: Your Ideal Client, What They Want and Need
- Lesson 2: Opportunities in the Marketplace
- Lesson 3: Build Your Ideal Program
- Lesson 4: Flow of Care
- Lesson 5: Marketing Attraction, Enrollment and Delivery of Care
- Lesson 6: 5-Part Enrollment Framework
- Lesson 7: Delivery of Care
- Lesson 8: Legal considerations.
Module 10: Putting It All Together – Case Studies
At the end of Module 10, the student will have an understanding of how to develop longevity lifestyle recommendations, plans and programs for clients, the opportunities to generate increased revenue and results in their current business model while building a business growth plan for ongoing success and positive impact over time.
- Lesson 1: Clinical Case Study
- Lesson 2: Marketing Case Study
- Lesson 3: Program Case Study
- Lesson 4: Product Case Study
Course Delivery and Assessment
This is an online, self-paced course; all materials are delivered digitally. This course is delivered through a variety of digital mediums, including written material, video narrated slide presentations, videos of sample exercises, sample forms, and more. Comprehension of the material will be measured via a mandatory competency assessment requiring a minimum of 80% correct responses.
All of the online courses on MedFit Classroom which lead to a Certificate of Specialization are considered advanced level education, and are meant to be taken by fitness professionals who have previously acquired education and experience as a professional within the health and fitness industry. In order for one to receive the Certificate of Specialization conferred upon those who obtain and complete this specialist course, one must be able to show proof that he or she has the following:
- Evidence of a bachelor’s or master’s degree in fitness or health related field AND/OR possess a certification from a nationally-recognized certification, NCCA or ANSI/ISO accredited program AND
- Evidence of professional liability insurance.
Renewal of Specialization
The completion of this specialization course, and the passing of its corresponding competency assessment, leads to a Certificate of Specialization. This Certificate of Specialization will be considered valid for a period of two years. To keep the certificate current, you must complete 10 hours of continuing education, on relevant subject matter, and formally renew the certificate prior to the date of its expiration. As with many certifications and specializations in our field, professionals should anticipate some costs to continuing education and renewal of this certificate.
MedFit Classroom CEUs
This Specialist Course provides up to 10 CEUs for other MedFit Classroom Specializations. Download our CEU chart (PDF) to find out what specializations it will provide credit CEUs for.
Other Continuing Education Credits
- Approved for credit by canfitpro for 4 CECs.
- Approved for credit by ISSA for 20 CEUs.
- Approved for credit by NASM for 1.9 CEUs.
- Pending credit approval by ACE and NSCA. If you finish the course before approval is granted, or you have a certifying body not listed, MedFit Classroom can help you petition for credit.
About the Course Author
Dr. Melissa Grill-Petersen, DC, MS, BCHH, is a sought out expert in thriving! For over 20 years as a best-selling author, speaker and thought leader in epigenetics and precision longevity, she’s been delivering precision health solutions connecting the dots for experts and enthusiasts alike dedicated to leading, loving and living life to the fullest.
She is the host of the Igniting Limitless Podcast, author of the best-selling book the Codes of Longevity, an advisor to Heads Up Health Technologies and is the founder of the Human Longevity Institute.
Her clinical training and background include a Licensed Doctor of Chiropractic & Epigenetic Human Performance Success Coach, with a Board Certification in Holistic Health and a Masters in Wellness Leadership and Performance. Pair this with her past fitness and television career in the world of professional wrestling and you get a powerhouse that is on a mission to uplift, inspire and ignite people around the globe to express greater states of health, well-being and human flourishing for generations to come.
To discover what is possible for you or to learn more about Dr. Melissa and the ways to connect, visit www.DocMelissa.com