Geriatric Fitness and Lifestyle Specialist Online Course
This product is an online, self-study course.
The aging of America is birthing new opportunities for fitness professionals. Today, and every single day for the next decade, 10,000 baby boomers will reach the age of 65. This generation is made up of roughly 73 million people who control more than two-thirds of the disposable income in the United States. These mature adults strongly value their independence to continue living the active lifestyle they love. They are determined to live longer, stronger and healthier lives than their parents.
It’s estimated that 80% of the older population has one chronic disease and 77% have two or more. Diabetes, hypertension and complications from falls lead the list of health concerns. This means millions of people over age 65 looking for guidance from fitness professionals who are knowledgeable in exercise, nutrition and lifestyle principles that can help them improve functional mobility, while also preventing and managing chronic conditions to live their highest quality of life. This online specialization course will give you insights, strategies and tools to be a successful health professional in this rapidly growing market. Learn how to be a valued part of clients’ continuum of care, working with the medical team to improve functional outcomes and positively impact people’s lives.
Course Length: Approximately 17 Hours
MedFit Network (MFN) Membership
This course includes a free trial of a professional MFN membership. This offer is valid for new members only, and instructions for creating your MFN account will be sent after course purchase. Already a member? Existing MFN members are not eligible to receive a free trial, but do receive a discounted price on MedFit Classroom courses. Check your MFN account for details or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment plan available for purchases of $399 or more. (3-payment plan. Start for only 1/3 down at time of purchase.)
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the aging process and how inflammation and lifestyle choices impact chronic conditions.
- Discuss the most common chronic illnesses and medications prescribed; recognize their potential physical and mental effects and cautions.
- Discuss lifestyle principles and practices that can help prevent and manage chronic conditions.
- Explain the role nutrition and exercise play in promoting neuroplasticity, protecting cognition, and preventing falls.
- Identify safe practices, exercise principles, appropriate assessments and contraindications across the continuum of care to improve functional outcomes, independence and quality of life while reducing fall risk.
- Master communication skills to successfully work with clients and the medical community.
- Define how to build a business and grow your client base in the current market while leveraging your networks to maximize outcomes for your clients.
- Module 1: Aging, Inflammation & Lifestyle
- Lesson 0: Introduction to Module 1
- Lesson 1: Getting to Know Older Adults
- Lesson 2: Paradigm Shift – Empowering Older Adults
- Lesson 3: A3 + E3 = Optimal Aging
- Lesson 4: The Blue Zones – Aging Better Longer
- Lesson 5: Aging Well Begins with Thinking Well
- Lesson 6: Preventing Falls and Protecting Cognition
- Lesson 7: Lifestyle Matters, Part I
- Lesson 8: Lifestyle Matters, Part II
- Lesson 9: Lifestyle Matters, Part III
- Module 2: Nutrition & Exercise
- Lesson 10: Inflammaging – Sarcopenia, Frailty, and Falls
- Lesson 11: Dietary Patterns and the Power of Plants
- Lesson 12: Nutrition Fundamentals to Building a Stronger Body & Brain – Balancing Blood Sugar with Protein, Fiber & Fat
- Lesson 13: Risk Factors and Strategies for Fall Prevention
- Lesson 14: Joint and Ankle Function – The First Step to Better Mobility and Fall Resilience
- Module 3: Learning Assessment
- Lesson 15: GFLS Qualities, Client Barriers, Intakes and Interviews
- Lesson 16: Philosophy of Assessments, Self-Efficacy, and Body Awareness
- Lesson 17: Assessing Gait, Speed, and the Foot/Ankle
- Lesson 18: Assessing Fall Risk and Fear
- Lesson 19: Assessing Strength, Stamina, and Power
- Module 4: Practical Program Design
- Lesson 20: Understanding Movement and Posterior Kinetic Chain
- Lesson 21: Falls, Fears and Pain
- Lesson 22: Programs with a Purpose
- Lesson 23: Putting the Program into Action
- Lesson 24: Fundamentals and Essentials
- Module 5: Business Development & Communication
- Lesson 25: Introduction to Module 5
- Lesson 26: Vision and Mission Statements
- Lesson 27: The Opportunity – Your Solution
- Lesson 28: SWOT and MVP – Two Great Tools For Success
- Lesson 29: Technology, Equipment, and Toys
- Lesson 30: Milestones and Metrics
- Lesson 31: Identifying Your Senior Market
- Lesson 32: Caregivers – A Closer Look
- Lesson 33: Senior Aging Continuum
- Lesson 34: Communication Guidelines and Methods (Parts 1-3)
- Competency Assessment: Geriatric Fitness and Lifestyle Specialist
Course Delivery and Assessment
This is an online, self-paced course; all materials are delivered digitally. This course is delivered through a variety of digital mediums, including written material, video narrated slide presentations, videos of sample exercises, sample forms, and more. Comprehension of the material will be measured via a mandatory competency assessment requiring a minimum of 80% correct responses.
All of the online courses on MedFit Classroom which lead to a Certificate of Specialization are considered advanced level education, and are meant to be taken by fitness professionals who have previously acquired education and experience as a professional within the health and fitness industry. In order for one to receive the Certificate of Specialization conferred upon those who obtain and complete this specialist course, one must be able to demonstrate that he or she has the following:
- Evidence of a current certification, or vocational credential, from a reputable certifying or credentialing organization, and within the health and fitness industry; OR an associate’s degree, or higher, from an accredited college or university in the field of exercise science, kinesiology, physical education, fitness, or a related field; AND
- Evidence of current professional liability insurance.
Renewal of Specialization
The completion of this specialization course, and the passing of its corresponding competency assessment, leads to a Certificate of Specialization. This Certificate of Specialization will be considered valid for a period of two years. To keep the certificate current, you must complete 10 hours of continuing education, on relevant subject matter, and formally renew the certificate prior to the date of its expiration. As with many certifications and specializations in our field, professionals should anticipate some costs to continuing education and renewal of this certificate.
Continuing Education Credits
This course is approved for credit by:
- canfitpro for 4 CECs
This course is pending approval provide continuing education credits from ACE, ISSA, NASM and AFAA. If your certifying body is not listed, you will be provided with a Certificate of Specialization upon completing the course that can be used to petition your certifying body for credit.
Students must pass the competency assessment exam at the end of the course to be eligible for CEC/CEUs.